Friday, July 10, 2009

Worry in Silence!


As I sit here reading so many blogs and stories from Iraq and Afghanistan I have to wonder, "WHO IS THE ENEMY"? Our soldiers are faced with this challenge everyday. We hear about Police in Iraq knowing about bombs being planted, children being sold in Afghanistan to become suicide bombers, militants posing as soldiers, women being recruited as suicide bombers. How do our soldiers deal with this? How do they identify "who is the bad guy"? Are our troops any safer since the "pull-out in Iraq cities" or are they in more danger? As the mother of a soldier I can tell you this is just one of the many questions that play in my head every day. I surf the internet for information because the news agencies feel that we don't need to know I suppose (don't even get me started). I honestly think that our soldiers are less safe now than before and this should be a great concern for everyone. We can't really say whats on our minds because of OpSec so we sit and choose our words carefully. So you worry in silence trying to put on a happy face while you are crying inside. I really get tired of people telling me not to worry yet no one can tell me how to do this. When soldiers first deploy everyone is wanting to know if you have heard from your soldier or how is your soldier doing. But after a few short months (which seems like an eternity) the questions are no longer asked. For those of us who have loved ones engaged in the War on Terror those question never end. For those who support our troops these questions never end. How do you comfort your soldier when he says to you "Mom, I just wanna get out of this shit-hole and come home"? It takes all the strength you can muster not to start crying when you tell him "I understand and I want you home too"! But really how can we understand? We are home where for the most part we can tell who is the enemy and have all the comforts that some take for granted. I know I am rambling here but that is how my mind works. So many questions playing through my mind like one of those songs you just can't get out of your head. So to those who say don't worry, until you can tell me how to do this, please stop saying that. When your only child goes into a war zone and you find a way not to worry please fill me in. Until then, I'll will sit here and worry in silence and pray for all our troops as I have been!

1 comment:

  1. My biggest issue is staying to rebuild the area. Who stayed & rebuilt the WTC or Pentagon? And w/all the oil rich nations around, how come they didn't/don't give a crap to end the nonsense at our expense? As in how in the world does Dubai just go on as if in Disneyland while death & suffering is right in their region??

    I don't know much abt decisions re: that area as I'm not privvy to "details" but I do know a lot abt religions, something we should have thoroughly understood before going there, incluing 75 years ago. Or we should have just dropped bombs wherever BinHidin was & left, left area just like WTC and Pentagon was left - in complete shambles. That's just my opinion because of what I saw "that day" and what we are still paying for now in more ways than one. :(

    ReplyDelete