Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stop and think!


While engaged in a conversation at the grocery store a few days ago my converstion was interrupted by an un-welcomed comment. This person and myself were discussing how hot it was outside and we really hated complaining about it because our troops had it so much worse than we could even imagine when this kid probably 18 or 19 years old, interrupts and says, "its not as bad for them because they don't have to deal with the humidity". Needless to say this did not sit well at all with me or the other person I was talking to. If this kid in his white shirt, jeans and tennis shoes, who pushes a grocery cart, who is in the heat no longer than 5 minutes before going back into an air-conditioned store is going to say something as stupid as that deserves my wrath. After I thanked this kid for interruping my conversation I asked this him to explained to me how dealing with the clothing, boots, body armor, 80lb back pack, carrying a weapon walking miles in the desert while looking for terrorist, is not that bad? He gives me this dumb look like what do you mean? So I had to put it in simple terms for him. Humidity or no humidity this is what our troops do everyday. They can't just sit down because they get hot or because they are tired. They have to keep on keeping on. They don't have a grocery cart to carry their necessities, their backs are their grocery carts. Again he says, but they don't have the humity. Ok, by this time I am "hot" and it had nothing to do with the heat or the humidity. I asked him if he was really that stupid or was he just in denial. I told him if it wasn't that bad and if he was so concerned about the humidity then maybe he should join one the branches of the Armed Forces and go where there was no humidity. I quickly recanted that statement. The manager came and we went into his office where the conversation continued for a bit longer. Needless to say the manager apologized for the kids interruption and stupid remark. It's really sad that we get so caught up in our everyday lives that we don't stop and think what our troops endure everyday to assure that we can go on with our lives without being in fear. We can get in our cars and go to the grocery store and not fear that some terrorist is gonna put a bomb in front of the store where we are shopping. To often we forget how lucky we are to be American's. Thanks to our troops I was able to use my freedom of speech to defend those who gave me that right. I decided that I would push my own cart out because I didn't want this kid to get over heated because of the heat and humidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment